The United Nationals special "expert" panel on sustainability will present its final report "Resilient People Resilient Planet: a future worth choosing" on Monday 30 January. (Source: UNCSD)
The report gives recommendations for the UN’s Rio+20 summit later this year.
Some of the ideas that will be put forward by the Panel are already known:
- phasing out perverse fossil fuel subsidies by 2020;
- appointing a scientific adviser to the UN Secretary-General;
- establishing a broader index or set of indicators to supplement Gross National Product (GNP);
- regular publishing of a Global Sustainable Development Outlook Report;
- setting up Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to complement the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs);
- establishing a new architecture for sustainable development, including replacing the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD) with a Sustainable Development Council (SDC).